ASDMAC is a specialist medical advisory body consisting of experienced medical professionals.
ASDMAC performs the following functions, as prescribed by Section 52 of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority Act (ASADA Act) and Clause 5 of the National Anti-Doping (NAD) scheme:
- giving approval for athletes to use prohibited medications for legitimate therapeutic purposes
- conducting investigations and providing additional medical and scientific expertise to help determine positive test results
- providing expert medical advice to drug testing laboratories
- providing expert medical advice to anti-doping tribunals
- advising athletes, support personnel and national sporting organisations about anti-doping issues and the wellbeing of athletes
- giving advice to ASADA and the Australian Sports Commission (ASC) on matters relating to anti-doping and athletes’ health and wellbeing
- providing advice to ASADA and ASADA’s clients about sports medicine issues.
ASDMAC functions are subject to compliance with relevant legislation and regulation. Secretarial and support functions for ASDMAC are provided by ASADA.
ASDMAC complies with the World Anti-Doping Code (the Code) and the International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions (ISTUE).